Monday, November 24, 2008

An invitation to Loutopia


Grant Barnhart is a painter who is exploring the idea of "too much." His painting is about spectacle, excess, and America (clearly that is a train I can get on board)

I like his use of cliche I am also a fan of his paint handling... he is combining many different ways of applying paint in a fresh way- stenciling, dripping, airbrush, old fashioned "painterly" quality, etc. There is an exuberance in his paintings that I don't find in the installations as much. I think I am clearly biased towards the paint. However, the self-contained "world" of a painting might be better suited to his over the top thesis than a self-contained corner of the gallery in his installation. Go big or go home message translates better in painting (as least over the internet.)

No comments: