Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sketchbook project

Way back in October, I decided to take on a challenge (for me)- The Sketchbook Project. My interest in works on paper has been growing this year and I thought the deadline would be good for me.

The Brooklyn Art Library sent me a 5" x 7" sketchbook with 32 pages. Over the fall, I became obsessed with frames and circles and I wanted to continue with those ideas. Ultimately, I would like to make some large drawings. One day, I want to do a works on paper show.
I chose a monochromatic theme because I love to organize anything by color. The book starts with red and ends with violet- ROY G BIV. Some of the small drawings/paintings in the frames were recycled from the 100 drawings project and I also made some new works. I used fluid acrylics, pencil, pen, colored pencils, stenciling, and collage.





I had a really good time experimenting with new materials and hopefully this will make it into new work.

If you are in the following places on the dates listed- you should check this out in person along with hundreds of other sketchbooks.

Brooklyn, NY
April 14th-30th
Brooklyn Art Library
103A N. 3rd St
Brooklyn, NY 11249

Chicago, IL
May 3rd-5th
Hyde Park Art Center
5020 S. Cornell Avenue
Chicago, IL 60615

Portland, OR
May 11th-13th
The Cleaners at the Ace Hotel
1022 SW Stark St
Portland, OR

Vancouver, Canada
May 15th-16th
W2 Media Cafe
111 W Hastings St.
Vancouver, BC

Los Angeles, CA
May 24th-26th
iam8bit
2147 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA

San Francisco, CA
June 2nd-June 23rd
Pop-Up Shop

Greater Boston Area
July 6th-8th
LynnArts
25 Exchange Street
Lynn, MA

Portland, ME
July 11th-14th
SPACE Gallery
538 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101

Toronto, Canada
July 18th-22nd
The Gladstone Hotel
1214 Queen St. W
Toronto, ON

Philadelphia, PA
Aug 23rd-25th
The Painted Bride
co-presented with InLiquid
230 Vine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Atlanta, GA
Aug 29th - Sept 1st
MASS Collective
364 Nelson St. SW
Atlanta, GA

Austin, TX
September 8th-16th
Co-Lab Project Space
613 Allen St.
Austin, TX

Melbourne, Australia*
November 10th-25th
NGV Studio
Federation Square
Russell & Flinders Sts
Melbourne

***the call number is 147.4-8***

No comments: