Friday, August 13, 2010

Afterwhile crocodile

I am back in Mississippi. Yesterday, I packed up my stuff early and headed out to 2 last museums. Our flight was until 4:30.

The first museum I visited was the Gallerie Neue. This was my first time. The museum is dedicated to Austrian and German work from the 19th and 20th century. It is a gorgeous townhouse right on 5th avenue and of course no photo. However, no one was patrolling the basement, so I got a few shots of vintage posters.

posters at the Neue

Johann Victor Kramer, lithograph, Vienna, 1901


I came for the Otto Dix show. Everyone at the Studio School was very excited about it back in June. I really like Otto's prints. He did a series of etchings after WW1 that capture the horror of that war. They were really powerful.
Otto Dix, 1924 (from google)
The Neue also has some great furniture and Klimts in the permanent collection.  They have the Adele Bloch Bauer Klimt. It was quite a controversy involving the Nazis and restitution. Here is an article.

Gustav Klimt, Adele Bloch-Bauer I, 1907 (google)
Depending on the show, the Gallerie Neue would be a great place to visit. I have it on good authority that the cafe is fantastic. Marc and Nina love the apple strudel.

No comments: