Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Back at it

School has started. I forget every year how much I like teaching. Remind me of this in November when I am dog-tired.

I am working on a new painting. I stretched and gessoed on Monday. I put about 5 coats of gesso on the canvas covered panel. I am very ritualistic when it comes to preparing canvases. It is the most optimistic part of the painting process. I truly believe at this stage that the next work is going to be the best.... then I start painting. The painting above is 4'x 4' and it is a baby (6 hours of work). I have a feeling that this is going to take awhile. I am excited to be exploring the wonderful world of frosting. When I was in grad school, I came up with the perfect title, "Icing, you sing." I wish I could reuse it.

Blast from the past- Icing You Sing, acrylic on canvas, 18" x 24", 2002
Here is an artist that I rediscovered through the blogosphere. Payton Turner is a Brooklyn based artist. She creates handmade wallpaper with stickers. I love how simple and complex the patterns are. Check out the NYMag slideshow- really cool. I found it through Apartment Therapy's article.


I had a huge collection of Mrs. Grossman stickers. If I only I would've saved them.

1 comment:

Dwayne Butcher said...

i reuse titles all the time. just saying. good luck ont he new semester.