Sunday, June 13, 2010

Queen of Queens, part 2

So I jumped on the 7 train after PS 1 and headed further out to the Queens Museum of Art. It is located in Flushing Meadows, home of the USTA and the US Open.


Flushing Meadow was the home of 2 World's Fair, in 1939 and 1964.

 The Queens Museum of Art is the home of the New York Panorama- a scale model of every single building in New York City (all 5 boroughs).

It was amazing to see the true size of the city. I love obsessive, detailed works- this is definitely an impressive piece.

They had a display of World's Fair paraphernalia from the 2 fairs.

Another exhibit brought back memories. When I was in grad school, I saw a performance by the Survival Research Laboratories in Los Angeles' Skid Row. I had heard about the SF based group in my New Genre's class. SLR combines a punk aesthetic with engineering. They build robots and blow them up. The performance was intense. It was so loud that it made the earth shake. What was shocking about the performance to me- no police. I am positive that SLR did not get a permit and no one thought the fire and shaking was shocking enough to call the police. L.A....

No comments: